Sunday, September 29, 2013

CAS Goals

I have numerous goals for my CAS for the following 2 years. The goals I will set may have been inspired by previous experience or knowledge with that specific idea or activity. I may elaborate on previous achievements to try and extend them further into something more meaningful and less broad. Other goals may be goals I strive for even though I am not familiar with the activity or idea but hope to conquer throughout the next two years gaining many new experiences and learning new things about myself, my community, and even the rest of the world. From these goals I hope to gain many new skills which can benefit me in university, getting a job, and skills beneficial for the rest of my life. 

Goals for Creativity: 

My first and main goal regarding creativity is related to SAISA Swimming. This year the highschoolers were given an opportunity to lead a couple of the workouts for the season. Additionally, the workouts we introduce to the athletes are workouts we created ourselves. We're given a specific stroke or stroke set with the amount of meters required for that workout, with that information we continue on to research various techniques and workouts relevant to the stroke or stroke set. The amount of meters is very important in choosing which techniques or drills are most appropriate for the workout. There are many different elements involved in creating the workout. Coaching the actual workouts are very important as it will affect the swimmer's performance during competition. My goal for this is to be able to lead the 3 workouts assigned to me in a way where I am able to improve an athlete's technique or give them slight tips on how to improve. With this they will be able to apply those techniques to their stroke in a certain race and perhaps decrease their time or prevent an injury which in the long run will have very positive affects on the swimmer. It is a simple yet complex goal. Though it does not require a huge amount of time nor many resources it does require me to use my personal leadership, communication, and collaboration skills which will benefit both the swimmer and myself in the long run based on the learner profile. I am currently not involved in visual arts nor performing arts which makes it difficult for me to base any creativity goals in those specific subjects or projects but i do hope to be able to be involved in one of those two subjects one way or another, whether it's helping out with a play, performance, an event, or an exhibition. If I am involved in one of these my goals would include being able to be a powerful contribution to the final product as well as being able to input and share ideas of my own within the given task. 

Goals for Action:

I plan for action to be my most involved part of CAS as a whole seeing as I have done and will continue doing more than enough action based activities throughout my time in osc to be able to reflect on them. I have already participated in a total of 8 SAISAS and 1 MSSE sport events. Currently I am involved in SAISA Swimming'13 and I have set a couple simple personal goals for this specific sport season:

-To continue training 2-3 times a week after the sport season is over
-To earn at least 1-2 individual event medals at the SAISA meet
-Working on improving my personal bests
-Improving and extending my endurance 


I have been involved in swimming for 4 years now and hope to be able to gain more skills and experiences throughout this next season. I plan to not only help myself but this year focus on helping others as well, such as younger kids or athletes that may be new to swimming or swimming at OSC. I can do this through my leadership role in the training workouts this year as well as giving others simple tips on their weaknesses or fears. 
I also am planning to try out for the Basketball and perhaps even the Track and Field team. I have been involved in each of these before. I have been part of the track and field team three years. Being part of the track team helped me meet new people from both osc and the other SAISA schools. I have made many great friendships as well as achieving many personal bests and even medals at SAISA events. If I try out this year I hope to be able to strengthen my weaknesses. This would include long distance running and specific field events such as shot put. In order to do this I would need to train on my endurance. I was involved in SAISA basketball last year and MSSE basketball in middle school. When trying out for basketball I hope to improve my lay up and shooting skills as well as participating in team sports instead of individual sports. For Action I hope to be able to achieve many things worth reflecting on. 

Goals for Service: 

Previously I had been a part of the service Temple school for about 2 years. There I learned more about interacting with children when there is a language barrier which really benefitted me for future school trips or projects that required us to talk using hand gestures or other types of communication. I then later became part of the new service group called Gecko Inc. As part of the first group to do the service I always felt like I was able to watch the group develop in a way that people in other service groups would not. Which is why when I began the diploma program I signed up to be a service leader for Gecko Inc. Seeing as I am now a leader I have less personal goals but rather goals for the rest of the group. As a leader my goal for this year is to make sure that everyone is focused and working on a productive task. As well as that I will make sure that all members have an equal contribution to any projects we might complete. I want to be able to get this service group to turn into one that can continue to run years from now. It was only created around 2 years ago and only this year it has found a certain location and goal to focus on. I want to be able to as a group elaborate on that and get Gecko Inc. to become as popular and beneficial for outside communities as the other service groups. As for myself, I want to be able to be the leader that knows how to problem solve and will be able to while collaborating with the co-leader, bring this service group to success. This requires me to be extra engaged in the group and the tasks during meetings as well as outside. I will also need to work on my leadership skills and my ability to tell others what tasks to do. Mostly, my goal for this group is to be able to get everyone to collaborate and work together to be selfless and help those who are not as fortunate as us. 

Goals for Academics:

For the following next two years I have a couple of goals based on my academics. Primarily, I would like to try and earn 6s in at least two of my classes. Secondly, I will try to earn nothing below a 4. I feel like the grade range between 4-6 is a strong range where I will be satisfied with my results. During the next two years I would like to focus on being more organized with my work, trying to stop procrastinating and managing my time wisely when I am also involved in sports and service. This would reduce the amount of stress on myself and also allow me to have more free time when closer to the due date as well as being able to reflect and improve on the tasks before finalizing them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment